For women, it often seems that receiving gifts is similar to receiving love. It is the tangible object that one can hold in her hand and say, “I was remembered” or “Look, I was thought of on Valentine’s Day.”
For men, it often seems that an act of doing, is an act of giving. It is the expression of love by providing special attention and offering up a service. Men honestly love receiving things that show you doing things for them and so for this Valentine’s Day, show your guy he is special by starting his day by saying, “Happy Valentine’s Day, I love you!” followed by an act of love, an act of service.
Here are a few ideas to help you get started showing your guy how much you care and how much you value him.
- You can make a coupon book that says, “I love you and will show you my love by … “
- Create a list of all the requests he makes of you over the next week and let him know for Valentine’s Day, because you love him, you will take care of his requests. You will know what’s really important to your guy because sometimes you think he’s nagging and this is how he says, this act of service is important to me.
For DIY Valentine’s Day gifts, here are a few of our favorites.
- Make a card that starts his day off by saying, “Love you a Latte” or “You’re My Cup of Tea.” Add a gift card for a date, include tickets to a special event, or for a special outing together.
- Bake a little treat, Yummy Chocolate Chip Cookies with Valentine’s M&M Candies.
Chocolate Chip Cookies with Valentine’s M&M Candies
*Recipe makes 5-6 dozen*
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup shortening
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups Valentine’s M&M candies
1. In a large bow, mix well the sugar, eggs, shortening, and vanilla.
2. Add the flour, salt and baking soda to the mixture above. Add 3/4 cup of Valentine’s M&M candies.
3. Drop a teaspoon of dough onto the cookie sheet. Gently press a few candies on top of each dough ball.
4. Bake at 350 degrees F for 9-11 minutes.
5. Enjoy together!
Visit Earnest Home Co. for this sweet idea!
Happy Valentine’s Day to you and your love!
This article is inspired by Gary Chapman’s book, The 5 Love Languages.